Another year has come and gone, and it seems like it went by faster than ever. It’s cliché but I guess it’s true time does really go by quicker as you get older. Every year has its ups, downs, challenges, and successes. But above all, if we’ve made it to see another year it’s been a good year.
We are going to start a new tradition here on The Pivot with our “New Year’s Post.” We’re going look back, recap 2017, share our favorite and least liked, and discuss what’s coming up in 2018.
I hope you enjoy the lists.
2017 Favorite Sport Moments
- Taking my son to his first St. Louis Blues game; and a playoff game at that!
- The NBA Finals. Two great teams played at an extremely high level for their third consecutive finals showdown. I’m hoping for a fourth showdown this June.
- McGregor vs Mayweather fight. Seriously, that was a fun and entertaining fight.
- Clemson beating Alabama in the national championship game. Dabo is one of my favorite coaches, and it was great to see him win his first national championship.
- Watching Lebron James play this well in his 15th season. It simply hasn’t been done before. It’s remarkable and we’re witnessing one of the top athletes of all time.
- Hardwood Hustle. A must listen to for coaches.
- School of Greatness. Full of inspiring people and messages.
- EntreLeadership. Always has a great guest offering excellent advice for business leaders and entrepreneurs.
- The GaryVee Audio Experience. Gary never fails to bring it. Filled with great advice for the hustlin’ entrepreneurs.
- The Way I Heard It. Mike Rowe does a great job sharing quick, and fascinating stories. Highly recommend for something quick, educational, and fun.
- Legacy by James Kerr.
- There’s Only One to Win: Lessons from a Legend by Dick Devenzio.
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.
- Law of Attraction by Michael J. Losier
- Mask of Masculinity by Lewis Howes
- Stranger Things (Season 1 & 2)
- Game of Thrones
- Walking Dead
- Star Wars: The Last Jedi
- Moana (C’mon…I’m a dad, and it was actually pretty good. Great soundtrack)
Favorite Events of 2017
- Family Vacation to Siesta Key
- Trip to Colorado with my wife.
- Family fun at the pool and lake.
- Bike riding with my oldest son.
- Fishing with our boys.
NF music. Seriously, he’s dope.
Current season of The Walking Dead. It’s terrible. Boring…and don’t get me started on the mid-season finale…Didn’t anyone learn from the Dexter?! This is what happens when writer’s egos get in the way (Scott Gimple) and ruin a show.
The Pat McAfee Show. This former NFL punter is hilarious.
- Watching my boys grow up and being there for them.
- Experiencing parenthood with my wife.
- Joining the Lead ‘Em Up team.
- Launching No But For Real with two coworkers and friends.
- Developing Genius Hour and flexible seating for my classes.
2018 Word for the Year
The word I chose for 2017 was “Surrender” and it proved to be the right mindset for me. Once I surrendered to God and trusted that good things were going to happen, they did. Instead of forcing and trying to control things, I surrendered and Forgot The How. As a result our basketball team had a great year, we launched No…But For Real, and I got an incredible opportunity to join the Lead ‘Em Up team. I’m so grateful for the opportunity and what’s to come for Lead ‘Em Up in 2018!
This year I have chosen the word, “Shine” for my 2018 word. My goal for the year is to be a light for other’s, to serve, and to inspire. I am going to continue to work hard and hustle. My goal is to be a light through all that I do that shines back to God and what is possible with faith.
I believe 2018 will be the best year yet!
I hope you and your family have a wonderful New Year’s and have a healthy and happy 2018.
If I can ever be of service to you, please let me know.
What were some of your favorite things of 2017? What are you looking forward to the most in 2018?
As always, thanks for reading, have a great week, and be an RGP today!
Coach Elmendorf is available to speak to your team, group, or organization. Message him for details.