Franklin Delano Roosevelt once said, “The only thing we have to fear…is fear itself.” He’s right, once we eliminate fear we’re free to accomplish so much.
But what I told you there are some things we should be afraid? What if there things in life we should watch out for? Are there things we should fear not doing while on this earth? Absolutely.
Here’s a list of things we should be afraid of while our feet are still above the ground:
- Be afraid of not giving your best effort. “No one who ever gave their best regretted it.”
- Never taking a risk. “A life without risk is not a life worth living.”
- Never having a glass of good red wine. Seriously, it’s good for your heart. Try a good Merlot, Cabernet, or blend.
- People who will only tell you the good. “Love people enough to tell them the truth, and respect them enough to know they can handle it.”
- Not meeting new people.
- Never volunteering your time. “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.”
- Uncle Rico…this dude could throw a football a quarter-mile. Would’ve won state had coach put him in.
- Going a day without laughter
- Not reading once you graduate. Reading will change your life for the better.
- Never trying something that scares you. “If you never try, you’ll never know.”
- A guy who doesn’t think this is funny…seriously, I laugh every time!
- Trying to get a two-year old in a car seat when he’s in hulk mode…who knew they could be so strong?!
- Never leaving the state you were born in. There’s so much out there to see and do!!
- Complacency. Don’t be a person who never changes. “Don’t resist change. Embrace it!”
- Leaving your kids worse off than you were once you’re gone. (S/O to @bhankins for that one.)
- A Praying Mantis…seriously, they are creepy. Did you know they eat their mate?
- A person with no passion or ambition. “Intelligence without ambition is a bird without wings.”
- People who don’t find the humor in mullets…
- A person who can’t name a song that makes them want to dance.
- Debbie Downers…the people who are chronically negative and have a problem for every solution. They’ll only bring you down. Cut the dead weight.
- Facebook warriors. Do these people work? Don’t waste time trying to prove a point. “The louder the argument, the weaker the position.”
- Not having a mentor and not mentoring someone else. “Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen to, and a push in the right direction.”
- Eating fast food once you’ve given it up. My wife did a few years ago and it was a race to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
- Not showing emotion or crying when something moves you to tears in a good way. That’s what life’s about!
- Not embracing technology and social networks. The world has changed. Don’t get caught left behind.
What do you think? Anything make you laugh? Make you think? What would you add or subtract from the list?
As always, thanks for reading, have a great week, and be a RGP today!
Coach Elmendorf is available to speak to your team, group, or organization. Message him for details.